I was a little nervous about this recipe. I had left over spaghetti sauce that I had frozen and didn’t know what to do with. We were tired of spaghetti and I hate to throw anything out so I thought of eggplant parmesan. I always try to make inexpensive recipes because Jake and I are on a pretty tight food budget. 2 eggplants cost me $2.98 and I threw out almost 1/2 an eggplant. Next time I’ll just get one big one or two small ones. Mozzerella was about 2.50, the parmesan I already had and I made my own bread crumbs. Here’s the recipe.
- 2 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced (mine were about 1/4 inch)
- 2 – 3 eggs, beaten (start with 2 and crack another if needed)
- 2-2/3 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (I just stuck 3 slices of bread in my food processor and then toasted them under the broiler, though I think I should have either toasted them less or not at all so they toasted more to the eggplant later.)
- 4-6 cups spaghetti sauce (I’m not sure exactly how much I used, but I know I could have used more)
- 8 ounce package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used way more than this but I wanted to get rid of the parmesan I had sitting in the fridge)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Jake kept going on and on about how delicious this was, I really liked it too. It was far better than the eggplant parmesan I had had in my schools cafeteria 😉 Overall it turned out wonderful and is a cheap way to use up the extra spaghetti sauce (because I always make way too much!) And healthy…I think (maybe with low-fat cheese?)